Friday, February 7, 2014

WHEN BEING SEXY BECOMES TOO MUCH




There are two things I love.
Being an artist and defending the arts and being a woman and defending womanhood.

When I speak about these, I am fierce, I am passionate and I'm aggressive. People may mistake it for an attack, but it's not. Its PASSION rising to the defense...


I'm browsing facebook and I come across this article...

Peace Hyde


A very beautiful and well educated woman by all standards. I heard her speak at the Ghana Movie Awards. I'm reaching out to her via my blog with a word of advise.

Package yourself differently.

It is to the glory of God that you are a beautiful well endowed woman. But it is also to the glory of God and to the pride of womanhood that you are a smart, intelligent, resourceful woman. A woman who goes through life by virtue of what is in her head. Sheer brilliance. That is what other girls, young girls, should see when they see you in the public eye. They should see a woman who has come far through education, ambition, drive, honesty, through brains...not buttocks.

We have girls going for boob jobs, cement being injected into butts, bleaching, etc because they think, that is how to get a man's attention. This ties nicely to my previous post. A man's attention because that translates to money, connections, maybe a job. But above all, the good life.

Ladies, the good life is in hard work. Honest hard work.

I am in no way attacking my sister. But I have to say I am disappointed by the attention she is drawing to herself or should I say, her body. At the Ghana movie awards, it became almost ridiculous, that when she came on stage, no one heard what she said, because all eyes were on her behind. A behind intentionally accentuated by the choice of clothing. I kept asking those around me, why won't she wear something different? When I went backstage, I almost said to her

 "sister, can you wear something different?"

I get it. if you've got it flaunt it, and really, in Africa, it's a man's world. If you are going to get anywhere being a woman, you have to be very beautiful, very large breasted accompanied by a large booty. Now that is how to get people to listen to you. Or scream. Scream really loud and be tagged "ugly bitch'. The glass ceiling.

I can list a great number of women however who have achieved heights without any of these. Lupita Nyong'o and I seem to have gone fishing when God was sharing boobs. But look at her now, see her go!
Nana Konadu Rawlings is probably the only African woman I'd love to make a film about.
Oprah Winfrey, regardless of being so well endowed managed, all her life to not make it about her body but about her head and her heart.

If you package yourself as a piece of meat, you'll be treated as such. But if you package yourself as an emerald.... as you lay your bed so you'll lie on it.

To media men out there. Be responsible. sometimes, you people do more harm than good. I am sure Ms Peace Hyde has a lot more going for her than her body, do her a favor, do us, do women a favor by focusing on those. And to my sister...you are beautiful. No need to draw attention to yourself with the outfits. These same people posting your pictures and calling you sexy today will be the same folks ridiculing you tomorrow if you do not get it right.

Climb with the education, the talent, the skills and the intelligence I know you have. Be a role model, not mannequin. Know your body, develop a style that keeps you beautiful but above all dignified.

hugs
Leila

9 comments:

  1. LOVE this! This is true talk to all of us women.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In a world where being sexy is considered a career, can we really blame people for going too far?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your words are slightly uncalled for Leila, who are you to criticise how someone chooses to dress? After reading your post I decided to google her and then check out her Instagram page, I was a bit confused...I expected to see a scantily clad female but instead i saw a woman who is pretty much fully clothed in all of her pictures. You spoke passionately about her outfit to the GMA Awards, i was surprised to see a dress, TWO dresses in fact that tastefully flattered her curves, she revealed nothing. She is a beautiful and curvaceous woman and i think she is at liberty to express that in whatever way she feels, so far as she is not naked in the process. You claim to be giving her advice but your advice comes across as very judgemental and self righteous. Pretty disappointed. And it is extremely patronising to call her 'sister' when you are clearly criticising the way she dresses. Your advice might come from a good place but as far as I'm concerned you used the wrong approach and medium to 'advise' her. Only thing i will say to Peace is that she should have a vaster amount of clothing to avoid being stigmatised but she should not change her brand/ 'package herself differently' or change who she is to please anybody! Please note a few successful CURVACEOUS stars who have risen irrespective of how they dress (tight dresses)- Jocelyn Dumas, Toolz, Kim Kardashian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The beauty of being entitled to varying opinions. FYI, Omotola is one woman who always dresses very carefully. I have worked with her and so I know. She chooses clothes that do not accentuate her figure unnecessarily. That is what this post is about. Omotola made her fame before anyone noticed her figure. I don't know where Kim Kardshian has risen to or what her success is based on. last time I checked she a sex symbol, hardly anything to write home about. I don't know toolz, and I won't discuss Joselyn.
      thanks for stopping by sis.

      Delete
  4. AND let's not forget OMOTOLA! Good night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hellobehappy, Joiselyn Dumas is paying de price for always wearing those tgt clothes. everywhere she goes people say she is sleeping with men to get deals, she's a bad actress and she only surving because of her hips. Leila is right. we should be careful how we portray ourlves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It would have been 'kinder' of you to give your heart felt advice to her when you saw her at the event you clearly spoke of. You had the perfect opportunity but chose to wait until you got home and write a lengthy article about her to which she probably has not seen (defeats the whole purpose) so i guess this is for the viewership of your bloggers alone. Kudos sis, very inspiring! In regards to Omotola, her brand name/ nick name is Omosexy, now I'm pretty sure that came from somewhere, her style maybe? Think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Hellobehappy. Omosexy is a nickname given to Omotola by husband.

    ReplyDelete