Wednesday, February 12, 2014

THE PASTOR, HIS BENTLEY AND YOUR TITHES



Today I want to speak very briefly about Pastors. In the last month, be it in Africa or in the West, news about Pastors and their utterances and their wealth has come under scrutiny.
Anytime you speak about Pastors, you have folks screaming "He's a man of God!". "Touch not my anointed!"

The last I checked, both members and Pastors are anointed.
The Pastor is NOT better than the member.  A Pastor cannot also speak against a child of God who is anointed and called unto good works.

John Chapter 2:13-22 tells us the story of Jesus driving "business men" out of the temple. But here we are with pastors selling cloth for a 1000USD on TV. Before you get a miracle, you must "sow a seed"  I see old women and men in church. Same old shoe, same old hand bag trudging to church daily to pray and give. And what does the pastor do? use that money to send his children to the best schools, drive the best cars, live in the nicest house, etc. I am yet to see when a church will take monthly tithes and divide it among the needy in the church. Or give it to that family who've not had a decent meal in years. At christmas, all the rice and goats and chickens to the Pastor. What about the widows? the poor etc? Is the Pastor not on a salary? If your salary is enough for the work you do in the office, why shouldn't the pastor's be enough?

If your church does not have a social responsibility, LEAVE.

I don't know where it says in the bible that member's be subject to the pastor. Indeed, Christians have become so lazy, they want someone to pray for them and teach them and do everything for them so they can be easily swayed.

Don't get me wrong, I am not against appreciating the Man of God. I have spiritual fathers I would gladly do anything for. But mind you, I said a spiritual father. I have a one on one with this person. I seek counseling from him. He is spending his time on me, so I will give to appreciate him. We are talking about when this act becomes abused. Just as if I call a film industry friend and seek his opinion on a move and his advice helps me, I will appreciate that person. It's called being thankful.

Below is a video tells us how some of these pastors live.

Personally, anytime a Pastor starts to put his face on a billboard, I get very concerned. Indeed I may be prejudiced and making too much out of it, but for some reason, my spirit is burdened when I see that. I work in the public eye, and I know, that recognition can be very poisoning. It starts from the billboard, then it becomes wanting to own a mega church and wear fancy clothes and big big hats and be on TV and be recognized and revered.

It's painful to see how Christianity has become a charade. Sometime back, a friend mentioned that it would be easier for us to tell the truth to nogokpo or tsigali (voodoo shrines) than in the presence of the bible.

Hear this:
I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. There is one body and one Spirit—just as you were called to the one hope that belongs to your call— one Lord, one faith, one baptism. Ephesians 4:1-32

In any case, I'll end this post with what Paul said in Philippians 1:18 But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice.

It's important that as children of God, we KNOW the bible. That we have a personal relationship with God, so that we have the knowledge to test the spirits and know which ones are from God. When a prophesy is from God, you will know. God knows your heart, pay your tithe, give your offering and leave God to do the rest. 
Above all, STOP making the Pastor into a demi God. Stop seeking his approval. On the day of judgement, there are no separate lines for pastors and members. All of us will be in the same line, judged by the same standards. You christian walk should be with God, not your pastor. Bible says give to the needy, not to the pastor. You have every right, to question your Pastor. he cannot curse you. Remember the story of Balaam and Barak. He cannot curse you for holding him accountable. God does NOT work like that. Unless that pastor is of the devil. Remember, He that is in you....
He who has ears.... 

I leave you with the words of a facebook friend of mine: 
If you think he's not accountable for anything because it is his money, then you have no right to also accuse the government for embezzlement because it is their money because tithes are just like taxes.

6 comments:

  1. Insightful piece. Endeavor to make your views heard without agression and disdain no matter how upset you are and please correct others in love when they comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol. we'll see. You know life is give and take. hehe. thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Sometimes i also ask myself a lot questions about most of these pastors and the way they are making out of people. i remember i went to a certain church; one of these big churches. There were three different offertory sessions. By the time i left the church, i only had enough for transportation...no money for food. I advised myself. It's sad, but anytime this memory verse comes to mind,(Philippians 1:18) i just say a simple prayer "Lord have mercy".
    This is post is very intuitive, Leila. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could be wrong but on the issue of tithing; pastors as God called in the Old Testament were not to engage in any other activity. He commanded that the other 11 tribes bring the a tenth of their harvests to His house for the tribe with the priestly lineage. Personally, I think It's wrong for pastors to engage in any activity apart from that which God has called them to do in the. In the new testament, the early churches shared what they had. They SHARED!!!! Not one man chop. And on the issue of offertory, it's with a willing and cheerful heart. I will not give to the church, if I'll be grumpy about it. Besides, my offerings are for God not the church. I offer on to God, so if my I'll be grumpy about it the whole time, I'll not do it. I'm sorry but no. It's like she said, You have to know God for you. Relationship builds your spirit. Your discernment won't be any good if you are still a spiritual baby. It is essential to move on to stronger teachings like Paul encouraged. As for the other things about the wealth of Pastors, I leave them in the hands of God. The Bible said to work out our salvation with fear and trembling, and if you are a Pastor and you feel like money is your salvation, carry on; I leave that to the God who called you to His vineyard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete