Wednesday, February 5, 2014

JACK OF ALL TRADES


Photo courtesy of residualicomelife.com

Last week, I received a call from Ghana, from one of the nations premiere radio stations JoyFm. They wanted to discuss actors going into filmmaking. The host asked me multiple times: Do you support an actor becoming a producer?

We are working with the premise: An actor, playing a lead role and being a producer.

My answer is no. I do not. I support the actor becoming an executive producer or to an extent, a director. But not a producer. Not in Ghana. Anywhere else, but not Ghana.


In this post, I'll explain my rationale.

1. In Ghana, it is almost suicidal, to share credit. When you have more than one producer credited to a particular film, the fight of who owns the movie begins. It is very childish, it shows lack of understanding of the film industry. If the actor has producer credit on a film he or she plays the lead role in, I expect to see another person taking producer credit as well. Preferably first billing. (First billing is whose name comes first).
You cannot be the lead actor, appearing in every scene and at the same time be the sole producer. I am saying this under the assumption that the role of the producer is played accordingly. Not having the production manager or director do all the work and someone else taking credit for it. Give unto ceaser what belongs to ceaser.

If an actor says I have come into money. I want to diversify. I see nothing wrong with that. I hear you. You want to be an EXECUTIVE PRODUCER. You will hire a producer or a production company, sign off the money to them and concentrate on being an actor.

The producer job is tough. It requires a lot of hardwork and problem solving. I don't see you playing the lead role and playing the sole producer role at the same time. They are mutually exclusive.

It is hard enough for those of us who play producer/director roles. Most of the time, I find myself in a hurry to call "cut" so I go find out what is holding that piece of equipment we need.
These are compromises we should not make because surely, one aspect will suffer.

If an actor wants to be a producer, cast someone else to play the lead role. (I know, your heart just stopped beating).

2. A lot of times, I get the response, "I've always wanted to play a thief, but I don't get those roles so I am writing this script so I can play a thief".
I have issues with this. It sounds very vainglorious. Very me minded. So you create a self adoration project for yourself and you take all the credit for it. Unto what end if I may ask?

If it's a biopic...example Ama K Abebrese wants to play Nana Konadu Rawlings. I can see that happening and I will support that. On condition she takes Executive Producer credit for funding the film, or Producer credit among a host of other producers. She maintains the producer credit because she will have to have great amount of creative control. BUT this creative control should support the project, not any selfish ambition.

3. If the answer is, we need more films in the industry...Kudos to you. Now, fund the film and bring on someone else to play the lead character. This is a test of your true motives.

4. Actor/Directors.
This is an easier pill for me to swallow because you are there on set with the rest of the cast. This is much easier to do IF you are a master of both. Look at Clint Eastwood. Even if the story surrounds his character (Gran Torino) He shares the stage. He surrounds himself with a strong team so he is able to concentrate on directing and acting. He has mastered the art of selflessness. He knows he has to tell the story of the characters, not HIMSELF.

Being an actor is not about stardom and its benefits. Being an actor is a ministry. It's an avenue to change, preach, educate, inspire and as such, going into it because "you want to be a star" is very exploitative. You are taking advantage of people who spend the little they have on entertainment and I assure you, karma is best served cold. You will not get anywhere.

These days, I see a lot of actors engaged in these self adoration projects. They have a script written all about them. Don't we aspire to reach a world stage? Where are these films goings? Don't mention those African Awards in London and US please. That's not recognition. Those ones end up on Ameyawdebrah.com with a handful of pictures and end of story.

I have worked with actors who tell me to my face, "I'm only doing this for the money". As such, they put in no time, no effort nor passion. They waltz to and fro, from one set to another reciting lines and joining bank lines. It is not fair. It is not right. Feel guilty as you read this. Get another job. Feel free to do drugs and get caught or find something else to do for the quick money you want.

I have heard actors say to me I want you to make me a star. I'm sorry. That is selfish.

I have had actors say to me "I want you to write a script for me. A story about me, when the film is released, let people talk about me for a long time". That is so sad. ME. ME. That is very selfish. Africa will not grow, will not go anywhere until this me-mindedness is erased from our system. It is a mark of insecurity. Don't fall for it.

Film is art. Art is life. Don't take it for granted. Life on the red carpet is not what you think it is.

hugs
leila

11 comments:

  1. Film is really an art, and art is surely life...Know the separations.....Get of the me me me. Had to reply couple of emails a while
    ago...Didn't know they hit u too...Better thoughts and understanding can help us...

    ReplyDelete
  2. He who has an ear, let him hear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great piece Leila. More of this expository writing....

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are like a stern mother who tells it to your face and then hugs you at the end. You'll think she's out to get you till the hug and then it's all better and nice. Thanks for this.I learned beaucoup beaucoup from this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. awwww Leila Leila Leila. God bless your honest lips. Thanks for the tutorial. As an upcoming actress who wants to learn so badly, god bless youuuu is all I have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh i love this article, i always knew there is someone out there who is ready for them

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that our lives as a whole should be a ministry. Yes we live for ourselves, in a bid to grow as persons, but with the ultimate goal of giving our best selves to society. That is growth.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much Leila. Your premise is a disease eating deep at our African artistes. No passion, just do a crap job and move on. Its high time they changed their mentality. Gracias Leila.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eniola Bola and every other contributor! I love your interaction.

      Delete
  10. Well asserted...

    ReplyDelete