Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Exactly what do Ghana Actors do when they go to Cannes?



Really, what's the obsession with Cannes? I'd think they'll aspire for the smaller ones that actually get you close to people in the industry. South by SouthWest, Los Angeles Film Festival. It's like they are all just waiting for Cannes.

What are you going to do there?




I exhibit at Cannes, Marche du film, and in 2011 and 2012, I run into some Ghana actors. They came to my booth, we had fun. We went to lunch, we had more fun.  I got to brag about John Dumelo to people around my booth because they kept seeing him on the Ties That Bind trailer we had looped on our screen.
What I noticed our Ghana entourage did above all was to party, take pictures and get some solo red carpet shots. I'm not taking a jab at them, but I am using this tone because I find it ridiculous. Especially because there is a HUGE opportunity to actually make an impact there at Cannes.

I had a conversation with their sponsor, Fred Nuamah, President of the Ghana Movie Awards, about this and he was quite pained at the lack of support from all and sundry. But that didn't do much to convince me. I won't say he should figuratively kill himself for people who won't appreciate it in the long run, I've been there and I know it's not worth it. But hey, you won't throw the baby out with the bath water now would you? Anything worth doing, is worth doing well. Fred, you're doing it already, now do it well.

The booth next to mine in 2011 was for the Nation of Panama. They had no films to sell. What they had were huge, huge, books about Panama and the opportunities it had for filmmaking. Locations, tax incentives, actors, hotels, etc. The book was free, inside it were advertisements so I assume that is how the books got printed.
Why can't Ghana do same?

Outside by the water are pavilions. Pavilions that house country reps. See the flags? Inside each pavilion, an event is going on. I've been to the South African pavilion a number of times and they always either a film showing or a talk session going on. They discuss filmmaking opportunities in South Africa.
Why can't Ghana do same? Hollywood is always looking for new places to film, they're looking for stories and they are looking for resources. We are boarded on all sides by french speaking nations yet we have no film treaty with any french speaking country.

They go to Cannes for purely superficial reasons. There are no meetings or networking opportunities. No one is going to give you their email or phone number. To effectively network at Cannes, you must have a valid reason for being there. Note what I said, EFFECTIVELY NETWORK. Networking that yield results.

Anyone can get a ticket and go into a movie. If it's a big movie, be ready to stand outside for 5-8 hours hoping to get a ticket. Unless you have one beforehand. If you are a star who wants to be announced on the red carpet, get a publicist. To get meetings, you need an agent/attorney to book these meetings even before you get France.
Going to Cannes for an infant industry like Ghana should be strategically placed.

Assuming Fred Nuamah liaises with the ministry of tourism and they get a booth or a pavilion or just a venue, for Ghana and advertise a talk session: Emerging Markets in West Africa. There's a panel made of the minister, some filmmakers, some actors... now you use your Cinando account to send out an email blast to every executive coming to Cannes. They will show up to your event. You have a Q'A session. Now that, is the way to get direct contact of people who make the movie industry go round.

I cannot count the number of distributor contacts I made just by screening Sinking Sands at Cannes or by having a booth. It is helpful. It is amazing, it makes you work harder because you know you are working towards something. If Fred can't do it alone, maybe merge with the AMAAs and do it.

Cannes has a fellowship, how about Ghana Movie Awards sponsoring/endorsing a filmmaker to the fellowship?

Going to Cannes to walk around, eat, take pictures, sneak into a party and return to Accra and continue from where you left off is not growth. We need to stop glorying in these mediocre things, we need to stop the numerous excuses:

Rome was not built in day - We've been saying that for years now.
It shall be well - How will you even know when it is well?
We'll get there - When? How do you know you're not there already?
They are trying - well, can they try harder?
You talk too much - I know, no need to remind me.

It's probably too late to get a booth or do anything of sorts now. But, I think if they're going, they should attend events that have Q'A sessions. They should engage in the discussions and use that as a networking opportunity. Going to Cannes for Ghana Film Industry should be an enterprise that results in growth. Not chilling.

Everyone wants to sit down, fold their arms and only seek their own interest. No one wants to get dirty. well, I guess if you enjoy living in the status quo and it works for you...don't hate those who are getting dirty, getting called names etc because they are tired of living the routine life and want to attain higher heights.

3 comments:

  1. You know how you can read something so fast because it says more line after line, and then you finish and you feel like you just had an adrenaline rush to run a mile; that's how i felt after reading this. You speak some strong knowledge and wisdom here. I never feel like I've lost when I take time to read your posts. Muchas gracias, Leila. Choukrane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been following your comments on Leila's posts and let's just say I'm quite impressed. You reason. I'm into this thing of networking with people who explore their brains and environs. Hit me up on either of these portals and let's do instead of say. Senaaffadu@yahoo.com or whatsapp: 0261945906

      Delete
  2. Ghana has very good actors. Produce quality African stuff just like your Nigerian brodas

    ReplyDelete