Friday, May 2, 2014

The Road to Accra



I screamed so loudly when I came upon this film on youtube. I practically danced around my house, got me a plate of food, sat down on my bed and drowned in its glory!



On set of Northern Affair, an actor shows up on set, action and they start screaming their lines. No nuances. None. The more you scream, the more you squeeze your face and roll your R's the better actor you are. The longer the weaves, the taller the heels, the prettier the girls, the better the film.

Kukurantumi: Road to Accra should a filmmaking blue print for Ghanaian filmmakers. This film was shot in 1984. Costume, make-up, sets.... felt like it was shot last week. Its timeless. The film is so honest and true to it's time, with so much soul, so much depth! Depth is not in telling complicated stories or social themes. Depth is in the small things. Those nuances we often overlook. You lose so much in the middle of chaos. Indeed, too much of everything is bad. This is the identity our cinemas needs.

I savored the production value of Kukurantumi. Took me back to those days when my mother would take us to her hometown Peki. I go to the local library, sit at the window with a book and gaze outside at life in the small, buoyant town.

I'm not saying its perfect. It's a little slow but its an artsy film and owes no one any apology.

David Dontoh is in it!!! He was so tiny!!

ENJOY!!!


2 comments:

  1. I wasnt born at the time, but i enjoyed watching this movie. awesome acting and story line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay pause pause. Please pause. This film was made in 1984? How are we here now? This looks like the curious case of Gh filmmaking. The opening scene had me beat. Goodness me! 1984?! The soundtrack is just peachy. Thank you so much for sharing this. You really are the best!!! You share for the rest of us to learn.

    ReplyDelete