Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Parliamentary Aspirations - Is Ghana stable enough for Trial and Error?


I'm expecting to be called all kinds of names for this post. In Ghana, we only fight, we do not analyze. It's easier to not listen and fight. But that will not stop me from sharing my opinion. I'm entitled to one, right?



It's been a fun week on facebook. I was debating with folks over Ms. Francisca Oteng Mensah. Can you believe that? She has actually earned herself a name in the pages of Ghanaian history. If she achieves nothing else, this will do just fine! Congratulations sister.

I am very impressed with her bold step. You have to dream, but at a point, you wake up and work towards that dream. Lots of people out there are sitting on their behinds, dreaming, waiting for a handout. Francisca made the most of her opportunities and is working towards her dream.

I'm also quite proud of Ghanaians for giving her the mandate. NPP, Kudos to you guys. I was chit chatting with a friend recently and I asked about Hilary Clinton's prospects. He vehemently said "We're not ready for a female president". I made sure I sent him the link to Francisca's success and gloated that Ghana has far advanced. Our men have advanced. This is something the foreign media needs to acknowledge. We get it right too you know.

You are waiting for the but, right?

Here it comes.

Unfortunately, anyone who has doubts regarding Francisca's ability to perform as a lawmaker is labelled a hater, jealous, underachiever among other colorful names. That's unfair.

 It's because we do not hold our leaders accountable or question their motives that we've found ourselves here, in shambles. 

To be clear, 22 is an adult. Not a child. I was 22 in college and I was embarrassed since my classmates were 19 and 20. If our education system were properly adjusted, at 21, you should be a college graduate. At least, first degree.

I have my doubts. Not because she's with a secondary school leaving certificate, but because, I am concerned there are way too many people in our parliament, in our leadership, who know next to nothing about governance. They are there for self. Not to serve.

We are quoting also that a 20 year old became a law maker in Britain. "oh, it happened in Britain."  umm, we ain't in Britain.

At 22, I was in America working two jobs and school, alone. No family member was calling to check up on me or send me 20 bucks for gas. I built my company ALONE. By that, I believe Francisca MIGHT be able to make change. MIGHT be able to do the job. That still doesn't answer a lot of questions. Will the short sighted, older ones, who might feel threatened, or be disrespectful to her because of her age, allow her function? Is she ready to play the dirty game politics is? I got so stressed out dealing with opera square and fellow filmmakers who felt I was competing with them, I left Ghana to find peace elsewhere. It's not easy being different. Wait and see the abuse I'm gonna get for this post cos I dared to be different, honest.

What do we really know about Francisca? Folks be like: She's been managing her fathers' company for years. Ah, at 22? how many years? Does that even make sense to you when you utter it? or you mean the 6 months between SS and going to Uni? How do you know this? Not everything you read is true! Maybe the media should to stop focusing on her father and her age and tell us WHO SHE IS.

There definitely is a certain wisdom that comes with age, with experience and with an academic qualification. Unfortunately, that is a moot point as most of our lawmakers have those chops, yet they are useless.

Francisca might be able to perform, she might not be. There is a large crowd out there, advocating she be given a chance. Are we stable enough as a country, to take that chance? 

If I were Francisca's big sister, this is what I might say to her: Complete school; at least, your first degree. Whiles you are doing that, form an NGO in your constituency, build that training college, support those women, do everything you want to do for your people. Intern with any leadership organization, UN, AU, get exposed to different forms of leadership and skill acquisition. Come back home, run for that seat, win and make a difference. with that, when we write about you, it will not be important to say Francisca, daughter of this person. But Francisca Oteng Mensah, the independent woman. Wherein you are separated from your father.

CNN released a list of very young fellows, touted to be the future of medicine. Each of them invented something. But knowing that is only the tip of the iceberg, they are in school, studying and understudying. These 8 whiz kids are the future of medicine

I think you can serve your community without interfering with your education and taking such a gamble with a fragile country and your own life. Mahama might be a good man, a good president, but, his failure lies in the people around him. I believe I am a good enough filmmaker. But if I do not hire a good DP, a good production designer or a good editor, my good work will have no legs. Leadership is teamwork. Are you equipped to surround yourself with the right people? People who are all rowing and not digging holes to sink the boat?

I am no dream killer.
If you believe you can combine school and politics and still excel,
If you believe you are equipped morally, emotionally and financially,
If you believe you are not trivializing the institution,
If you believe you can meet and manage the expectations of your constituents,
If you believe you will bring change and do better than some of our useless MPs,
If your motives are  PURE and SELFLESS,

You have our full support. I'm proud of you. But you know we'll be watching you in 3D. Put your naysayers to shame and I'll trek from Ho to Kumasi. (shiver).

This magnificent building for party office though. I hope your constituency has hospitals, well equipped schools, job opportunities etc. If you've acquired land for the party office, I hope you've acquired land for the training college as well. (wink).


To those people saying the youth are not being given a chance and that Francisca is not being given a chance. Errm, must you be in parliament to make a difference? Must you be a big man to make a difference? What did you try to do, and were not given a chance?

Lol, some guy said I didn't give him a chance to be a star. Did you attend an audition? Are you good? Did your perform well? lol. Do you want to be a star or do you want to be an Actor?

Kofi Amigosten Amoah has dedicated his life to restoring lives all over Ghana. He's media personnel.
My brother, Selasie Woanyah at age 27, owned, still owns a bank and supports schools and small business. He's a lawyer.
My late brother, Blessing Tsikudo, also at 27, started a church, constantly gathered his doctor friends and took healthcare to deprived communities until his untimely death. He was a geophysicist.
Francis Obirokorang created the Dumsor app. Currently, he's developing another app which is re-inventing barter trade. Ingenious!!
Kafui Adzah started waakye on wheels which has become the new rave in Ghana. Innovative.
Joselyn Dumas serves her community by cleaning and sensitizing others to do same.
Yvonne Nelson, used what she has to create a massive demonstration against the erratic power supply situation.
Selasie Ibrahim contributes her quota cleaning out gutters and promoting the Ghana film industry.
Jackie Appiah empowers teenagers in primary and Junior High schools.
Stacy Amoateng uses her TV show to change lives.
Nana Konadu Rawlings revolutionized womanhood in Ghana.

Unfortunately, Ghanaian are easily swayed by ideals. Fantasies, things that are out of reach, out of range. The things that are practical are not appetizing, not big enough for our big taste. Our champagne taste on beer budgets.

Dr. Yaw Adutwum won the NPP primaries for Bosomtwe Constituency. I go to church with him in Los Angeles. I created a documentary for his school, New Designs Charter School. Mr. Adutwum rose from grass to grace. Before running for parliament, he built his community. For two years, be built and built and last week, he won the primaries. That is someone I'll confidently back and entrust my country to because I know his work and his heart.

When NDC presented a Dining Hall prefect for a ministerial position, it was met with ridicule and skepticism. Why didn't anyone say "Give him a chance?" He's not equipped with a university degree so he cannot perform or because it was an NDC move? Hypocrisy. You have those who say Minister is not MP. It should be. Any MP should be qualified to be a minister. Leadership.

Before you call me a hater, an underachiever, an Ewe girl, an Ayigbeni, ugly, too known, and others, Let me remind you that I am an overachiever. My first film was made at age 19, my films have been recognized by the British Academy Awards, Black Reel Awards, NAACPs, fellow filmmakers, major films festivals, my name is mentioned in film history books, I made a film on a million dollars plus. The only two things I have left to achieve are directing a James Bond franchise and marrying Liam Neeson.

Before you insult me because my opinion differs from yours: Remember who my future husband is and remember to leave your real name, address and phone number.

Have a sense of humor. It's part of being intelligent. :P

2 comments:

  1. Honestly, this is just about the most brilliant analysis I've read on this issue. Unfortunately for you, I can't leave my contact on a public platform. ..#tonguestickingout#

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go, Leila, go!

    Great blog post.
    Found this post while looking for info on @Kafui Adzah of Cookhouse, #WaakyeOnWheels fame.

    She'll be at Barcamp Ho this year.

    ReplyDelete